ATP
FAA stuns Zverev in major USO upset
Felix Auger-Aliassime scored the biggest upset so far at the US Open passed the halfway point, with the Canadian knocking out third seed Alexander Zverev 4-6, 7-6(7), 6-4, 6-4.
Zverev, three times a Grand Slam runner-up, could not handle a barrage of 50 winners against a player he had defeated in six of eight previous matches.
The German missed his chance on a set point for a two-sets-to-love lead in the nighttime showpiece. The Canadian added the New York victory ot his five-set win over Zverev at Wimbledon four years ago.
“The job’s not done, the tournament’s still going, but this means a lot to me,” FAA said. “It was a nervous start, then after it was pretty crazy, pretty flawless. I was seeing it big today.
“It’s good when you feel like that on the court, for sure.”
The opening game of the Ashe court third-rounder took 10 minutes as Zverev took the early lead with a break. But with much of the crowd behind him, the Canadian who once stood sixth in the rankings started to get chances of his own.
FAA broke back in the fourth game, with thepair exchanging another set of breaks before Zverev seized the set.
But his 27th-ranked opponent began a fightback in the second set which eventually led to the knockout after nearly four hours on court and into the Sunday morning hours.
Victory was the biggest success for FAA since defeating ATP No. 2 Rafael Nadal at the ATP Finals three years ago.
FAA, a 2021 semi-finalist here, now plays 15th seed Andrey Rublev, who defeated Hong Kong breakthrough Colemon Wong in five sets. Auger-Aliassime has not played for a grand Slam quarter-final spot since the 2022 Australian Open.
“I feel like tonight everything came together very nicely, and all the things I’ve been working on have paid off tonight,” the winner said. “It’s a great boost of confidence.”
Alexander Bublik lines up as the fourth-round opponent of Jannik Sinner after the Kazakh defeated American Tommy Paul in a five-setter, winning 7-6 (5), 6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-1.
Bublik, winner of three titles over the summer, extended his win streak to 11 matches against an opponent suffering with possible abdominal muscle problems.
ATP
Ruud recovers his winning habit in Geneva
Casper Ruud needed less than 48 hours to shrug off his Rome finals loss to Jannik Sinner, with the Norwegian starting strong at the ATP Geneva event with a 6-3, 7-5 opening win over Jenson Brooksby on Tuesday.
The three-time champion in the Swiss border metropolis advanced at the pre-Roland Garros tune-up with 21 winners.
Ruud won the title here in 2021, 2022 and 2024.
“This stretch of tournaments is quite a lot but they are nice tournaments and I like playing here,” the winner said.
“I like playing on clay. I try to use the clay season the most I can and every time I come to Geneva I have a good result at Roland Garros, so let’s hope to keep that tradition going.”
The Scandinavian owns two Roland Garros finals, losing to Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic in Paris..
ATP
Keep off the grass: Alcaraz out of Wimbledon
The nightmare injury scenario of Carlos Alcaraz took a grim turn on Tuesday, with the Spaniard withdrawing from Wimbledon.
The world No. 2 who last played a match more than a month ago in Barcelona, quit the grass court Grand Slam as well as the tune up event at Queen’s Club, London.
The Alcaraz wrist problem surfaced during a first round win in Barcelona and has kept the former No. 1 off court ever since while top-ranked rival Jannik Sinner soars to new records.
Alcaraz is already due to miss Roland Garros, starting on Sunday, a major which he won a year ago.”My recovery is going well and I’m feeling much better, but unfortunately I’m still not ready to compete, which is why I have to withdraw from the grass-court swing at Queen’s and Wimbledon,” Alcaraz posted on Instagram.
“They are two truly special tournaments for me and I will miss them a lot.
“We’ll keep working to come back as soon as possible.”
Main photo:- Carlos Alcaraz at Wimbledon 2025 – by Roger Parker ISF Ltd
ATP
Sinner writes more records with Italian home title
Jannik Sinner punched his ticket for another ATP record with a 6-4, 6-4 title defeat of Casper Ruud to win the Rome Masters on Sunday, a feat which vaulted him even deeper into the game’s elite.
The Italian took a firmer grip on his world No. 1 ranking while becoming only the second man after Novak Djokovic to win a matched set of all nine Masters titles.
It took the 24-year-old only three years to accomplish that mark; it took Djokovic until age 31 to do the same.
Sinner also becomes the first Italian since Adriano Panatta in 1976 to lift the home trophy at the Foro Italico.
The four-time Grand Slam champion finished off his one and three-quarter hour defeat of Ruud with a forehand cross-court winner to the corner which the Norwegian could not handle.
The full-house Campo Centrale crowd erupted as their local hero sealed the deal.
“I’m really, really happy, there was a lot of tension (over the past few days,” the winner said after getting through some apparent physical issues in the previous two rounds.
“It was not perfect tennis from either of us today, but I’m incredibly happy. It’s been an amazing two and a half months for me.”
Sinner has claimed titles at the last all six Masters events he has played, starting last November when he won the Paris Indoors.
He then ran off five on the spin in 2026: Indian Wells, Miami, Monte Carlo, Madrid and now Rome.
“I try to come out and do my best every day,” Sinner said. “And not every day is simple.”
The Italian credited his fitness team for helping him through the tough circumstances of this weather-hit week in Rome.
“I had some very physical and tough matches. I have to thank my physical eam for trying to keep up my body.
“They are as important as the coaches.”
Sinner joins Djokovic (2018) and Rafael Nadal (2010) as the only players to win all three ATP Masters 1000 titles on clay in a season following his title wins in Monte-Carlo and Madrid – and Rome.
Sinner has now won 29 straight matches this season and has compiled 34 in a row at the Masters level dating to Paris four months ago.
He goes into the Roland Garros in a week as heavy favourite after winning Rome for the first time following his 2025 finals defeat to Carlos Alcaraz.
-
Stuttgart4 weeks agoSablenka rationing her tournaments to preserve No. 1 career
-
Madrid Masters4 weeks agoKeys unlocks chaos with late Madrid pullout
-
ATP4 weeks agoAnother record beckons Sinner in Madrid
-
ATP4 weeks agoKyrgios due to resurface on German grass
-
ATP4 weeks agoScan to determine RG fate of injured Alcaraz
-
ATP4 weeks agoClay season turns to dust; injured Alcaraz to skip RG
-
ATP4 weeks agoDjokovic, Alcaraz play the waiting game for Paris
-
ATP4 weeks agoErratic Raducanu and Draper missing in Madrid
