Connect with us

Cincinnati Masters

Sabalenka needs six match points to start with a win

Published

on

Aryna Sabalenka took the long way to victory on Sunday, with the top seed needing six match points to advance in her opening match at the Cincinnati Masters.

The world No. 1 who is holding off Australian Open winner Elena Rybakina, managed to go past Talia Gibson  6-2, 7-6 (2) after the Aussie saved five match points in the first game of the second set before it went into a tiebreaker.when Sabalenka was broken,

But the four-time winner at the major charged back in the decider to move ahead at the tournament she won two years ago.

 “I’m super tired, this is crazy weather,” the winner said. “Talia played great tennis and was more aggressive in the second set.

“She put more pressure on my service games.I”m glad I stayed calm and pulled it out in straight sets.”

Sabalenka completed a winning trio of current and former Grand Slam champions at the final tune-up event before the start of the US Open in a fortnight.

Aussie Open champion Rybakina and Roland Garros titleholder Mirra Andreeva also reaching the third round.

Second seed Rybakina defeated Taylor Townsend 6-3, 6-4 while Andreeva beat Oleksandra Oliynykova 6-1, 6-0 in barely an hour.

Rybakina, losing finalist to Iga Swiatek this week in Toronto, is already looking ahead.

“Today I’m happy with the serve,” the Kazakh said. “Definitely it helped me a lot. Last week in Toronto was very difficult. A lot of three set matches.”

Swiatek, the Cincinnati defending champion, beat Colombian qualifier Emiliana Arango of Colombia 6-3, 6-0 in 71 minutes .

“It was necessary to get to know the court,” Swiatek said. “I’m happy I was patient. I came out for the second set knowing what I needed to improve. Things went pretty smoothly after that.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ATP

Zverev keeps up winning pace in Cincy

Published

on

Alexander Zverev kept up his winning ways as the top seed at the Cincinnati Masters advanced to the fourth round over France’s Terrance Atmane 7-6 (4), 7-6 (6) on Monday.

The German who won Roland Garros and  lost to Jannik Sinner in the Wimbledon final stretched his leading ATP season total of match wins to 46 as he beat a 2025 semi-finalist.

“This was a step up from my first match,” Zverev said of a previous encounter which ended at 2 a.m. last weekend.

“He was playing incredibly aggressively, hitting forehands all over the court.
“I’m happy to be through in straight sets. He made it difficult for you to play aggressive yourself.”

Fifth seed Alex de Minaur dealt with three rain interruptions but held his nerve for a win over British Wimbledon semi-finalist Arthur Fery 7-5, 7-6 (3).

De Minaur went to the locker room as the match was halted leading a set and 5-1 but needed all of his fighting spirit to pull off the win as Fery won six straght  game before being halted 

De Minaur overcame 29 unforced errors and got the win after two and a half hours.

“You never want to go into a rain delay leading 5-1,” the Aussie said. “It was a tough day with all the interruptions.

“I can’t remember a match that started and stopped so many times. I’m happy with how I found a way. But it was harder at the end than it should have been.”

The event lost Joao Fonseca, with the Brazilian pulling out before his Tuesday third-round match against Chris O’Connell due to a recurrence of an abdominal injury.

Spanish teen Rafael Jodar dominated Alejandro Tabilo of Chile 6-2, 6-1 and got the job done with a single unforced error.foraa 36th season win.

Argentine Thiago Tirante, who ousted Novak Djokovic in the second round, defeated Spain’s Martin Landaluce 7-6 (7/5), 7-6 (7/4). 

Continue Reading

Cincinnati Masters

USO under threat as major names face injury dramas

Published

on

The entry list at the upcoming US Open is weakening by the day as a handful of household names face injury threats which could keep them away when the last major of the season begins in 13 days.

While the top of the WTA draw remains relatively solid as No, 1 Aryna Sabalenka battles for points against Australian Open winner Elena Rybakina, 2021 miracle champion Emma Raducanu has already withdrawn with her near-continuous run of injuries.

The Briton has not gone past the third round since winning the major from a qualifying start half a decade ago. Her latest problem: recovering from a leg stress fracture.

Also in danger seems to be Wimbledon finalist Karolina Muchova, who has not played due to a “small surgery” the No. 7 had after her big day in July at the All England Club.

Two-time Grand Slam finalist Jasmine Paolini of Italy remains a question mark due to a foot injury; she has not played since Wimbledon .

The men’s draw in New York could be seriously hit if injuries to world No. 1 Jannik Sinner and No. 2 Carlos Alcaraz do not heal.

Sinner skipped the entire North American harcourt tune-up after various precautionary medical checks in Italy and what has been reported as a knee worry.

Sinner pulled out of Cincinnati and explained: “My right knee has been bothering me, and even though we have been working hard with my medical team, I have to accept that I’m not ready to compete yet.”

Alcaraz hurt his wrist last April in Barcelona and has filled some of his time by ordering a pricey yacht in March 2026, officially commissioning a custom Sunreef 88 catamaran a sleek 27-metre luxury powercat valued at approximately Euros €9-10 million and growing out his formerly silver-tinted hair.

The Spaniard has been training lightly for weeks but no solid information on his Open plans has yet emerged.

The elite pair remain in the Flushing Meadows entry list with last-minute pulls not out of the question as the days tick by.

Another huge question mark is Holger Rune, who busted an Achilles tendon last October in Stockholm, undergoing surgery and rehabbing ever since.

The Dane had first sought a May comeback and then hoped to be ready for the ongoing Cincinnati Masters.

He is now pointing towards a possible Open return. He recently issued a statement on “withdrawing from the US Open” due to his “horror injury”

Main photo:- US Open absentee has replicated his idol Rafa Nadal by ordering a luxury €9 million Sunreef88 yacht.

Continue Reading

ATP

FAA ends his injury absence with Cincy success

Published

on

Second seed Felix Auger-Aliassime returned to the courts six weeks after his last match, with the Canadian controlling Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-3, 7-5 at the Cincinnati Masters for a winning comeback.

The Canadian sacked his coach and went to ground after losing a five set marathon quarter-final to Novak Djokovic in June, then pulled out last week from his home Masters event in Montreal with back pain.

He showed full fitness as he beat Tsitsipas, the 2022 Cincinnati finalist in 88 minutes, 

He failed to serve it out while leading 5-4 in the second set but managed to finish off the 49th-ranked Greek  two games later with an ace.

“It got really windy, it was pushing against me. I felt like I had no power in my serve,” FAA said..

“It was a tricky ending, but luckily I was able to get the break back. I was able to come back and serve it out better, with the wind this time.

Continue Reading

Trending