Connect with us

Indian wells

Smooth liftoff for Swiatek’s title defence

Published

on

Iga Swiatek spent barely an hour as the reigning Indian Wells champion delivered a 6-2, 6-0 hammering to France’s former world No. 4 Caroline Garcia in an opening match for the Polish second seed.

Swiatek motored into the third round in the Californian desert as winds from  earlier in the week died down somewhat to make play less of a strain.

With trophies here in 2022 and 2024, Swiatek is looking to become the first woman to win three at the event where he holds an impressive 19-2 record from five appearances.

Swiatek’s quick success extended her Indian Wells win streak to seven matches, with her last loss at the venue coming to eventual champion Elena Rybakina in the 2023 semi-finals.

The winner next plays Dayana Yastremska after the Ukrainian defeated Ons Jabeur 6-3, 6-1.

“I’m happy that I was solid until the end, and I’m just happy that I adjusted to the conditions well,” Swiatek said.

“First matches are not easy, and I didn’t know what to expect from Caro, but
I’m happy that I could dominate from the beginning.”

Indian wells

Sinner coasts to opening Rome win

Published

on

Jannik Sinner began his quest for an unprecedented fifth straight title at a Masters 1000 tournament with a runaway 6-3, 6-4 start over Stefan Ofner on Saturday in Rome.

The second-round clash between the German-speaking Italian world No. 1 from  the former Austrian territory of Alto Adige and an actual Austrian was played in front of a packed-out Campo Centrale with local fans in full voice.

The final three games of the march were twice interrupted by medical emergencies in the stands, resulting in around 20 or more cumulative minutes of delay. 

“It’s an amazing feeling,” Sinner said. “In the first matches, the most important thing is trying not to lose.

“The level changes day by day. This has always been a special tournament for me.

“Being Italian, you reflect on the year a little bit. I’m happy to be here. Every situation, every week is different I’m trying to get a good match rhythm again.”

Sinner has lifted four straight Masters titles – Paris, Indian Wells, Miami and Monte Carlo – and could become the first man to ever win five on the trot. His current Masters win streak was extended to 29 straight.

A title next weekend at the Foro Italico would also complete his career matched set of all nine Masters 1000 titles.

Ofner began with a love game and gave Sinner a challenge but eventually took the loss after his initial flurry of form.

Sinner claimed the opener in 36 minutes and began the second with a break of the 82nd-ranked player who turns 30 on Tuesday.

The Italian, who lost the Rome final 2 months ago to Carlos Alcaraz, finished off the crowd-pleasing win as Ofner could not handle a forehand winner deep into the corner after 91 minutes.   

The Italian top seed won his 24th straight ATP match of the season as he advanced while denying Ofner a first win over a top 10 player after a dozen previous losses to the elite.

Main photo:- Jannik sinner won Miami Open in April – by ISF Ltd

Continue Reading

ATP

Player money demands more old news for Djokovic

Published

on

Novak Djokovic on Thursday offered support to player demands for more of a share of the Grand Slam moneybag, with the veteran Serb reminding that he has fought that particular battle before.

The 24-time major winner who turns 39 in just over a fortnight, will be playing in only his third tournament of the season when he fronts up at the Foro Italico.

The Serb last competed in early March at Indian Wells, but has been missing since through injury.

Djokovic did not hold back in supporting a letter signed by 20 top ATP and WTA players seeking a bigger slice of the Grand Slam, with prize money payouts at the majors all under 20 percent of gross revenue.

“This is not a new subject, new topic. It’s been ongoing for many, many years.” the player who won the first of his six titles here in 2008 said.

“As long as I’m playing I know this has been a topic.”

The veteran who is the last of the iconic Big 4 still active on court said that the bureaucratic system of the sport is stacked against player power.

“The monopoly of our sport is very strong. Tennis has changed a lot, but
there’s certain things within the structure that hasn’t changed.

“The players within the Player Council have really absolutely
no power. I’ve been there. I was president of the council.”

While Djokovic gave his support to the current reform effort, he said he will be watching from the sidelines, adding that his main goal is to do well in Rome while concentrating on a possible standout performance at Roland Garros in a few weeks.

“Players know that they’ll always have my support… the new generation is coming up. I’m glad that there is willingness from the leaders of our sport to really step up and really understand the dynamics of how tennis politics works and understand the nuances and really what needs to be done for everyone.”

The potential for a boycott of a future Slam event is gaining traction, with fellow world No.1s Jannik Sinner and Aryna Sabalenka both on board.

Sinner said that players are not being respected, with their letter earlier in the year not even dignified with a serious response.

“If the top athletes (in other sports) send important letters, I truly believe that within 48 hours you have not only a response but you also agree to have a meeting.”

Main photo:- The Iconic 4 – Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal, Andy Murray – by Roger Parker ISF Ltd

Continue Reading

Indian wells

Fragile Raducanu makes another pullout

Published

on

Serial WTA absentee Emma Raducnau has pulled out of yet another event, with the one-time British No. 1 now set to miss the Rome Masters underway this week.

The No. 30 has not played in two months since losing 6-1, 6-1 at Indian Wells in early March to Amanda Anisimova.

Raducanu pulled the plug in odd fashion, with  her withdrawal from the Foro Italico announced 30 minutes after she left a media conference where she expressed excitement at the chance to get back on court.

The cause of the withdrawal was a generic “illness.”

 Should she somehow play Roland Garros starting in late May, Raducanu’s ranking would likely have dropped into the danger zone for one of the 32 seedings.

British media speculate that the Rome media event was a smokescreen, with the player avoiding an USD 15,000 fine had she not attended the conference after what seems to have been a pre-planned onsite pull.

The 23-year-old had been training on the Roman clay since the weekend, giving all indications that she was preparing for the event, last major test before Roland Garros.

Continue Reading

Trending