Top Story
Wimbledon 2026 Women’s Day 7
Naomi Osaka credited Japanese food prepared by her mother with helping her to her first career victory on the Centre Court of Wimbledon, a 6-2, 7-6 (2) upset of top seed Aryna Sabaenka on Sunday.
“Home cooking is powering me here,” the four-time Grand Slam winner on hardcourt said after reaching the London quarter-finals for the first time
“My mom is here and cooking Japanese food: Could I please have some more tonight?,” she queried to her parent in the player box.
“It’s been a long time since I had so much fun on a tennis court. To do it here really means a lot.”
Sabalenka took a rare defeat to the Japanese player, a former world No. 1, after defeating her three times already this season.
The tiebreak loss for the top seed was her first here since her 2017 debut.
“I didn’t play my best, and she played probably her best, sometimes that happens,” Sabalenka said.
“You can do everything you can and still lose the match. Obviously I’m not really happy
“Well done for Naomi. Wishing her the best. With every game I would feel worse, she would feel better. She would just go for her shots freely. I wouldn’t.”
The tournament is now without the top three women’s seeds, with exits already from No. 2 Elena Rybakina and defending champion Iga Swiatek, seeded third.
The showing is the best for Osaka in six Wimbledon appearances.
Fourth seed Jessica Pegula showed she’s the picture of consistency – and now a contender – as the American earned a 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 comeback win over Iva Jovic.
The 32-year-old has reached the quarter-finals 10 times at the Grand Slams dating to 2021 and is now being tipped as a title contender after the exit of holder Iga Swiatek on Saturday.
Pegula was helped by a serving collapse from Jovic, who from 1-1 in the second set was broken five times on the way to the loss .
The winner improved to 7-1 on grass this season as she prepares for her second Wimbledon quarter-final appearance..
“You are always are trying to learn and push yourself,” she said in victory.
“I think I do a good job of keeping my emotions in check, and trying to not waste too much energy on being overly negative or even overly positive.”
Pegula revealed that in seven Wimbledon appearances, she has never played a match on Centre Court.
“It would be really cool, an honour, obviously. If I get there, it will be even better. If I’ve earned my spot: making a semi, knowing I can get there, that would
be awesome.
“(Playing on Centre) you really get the true Wimbledon experience. You really get the feeling that you’re playing Wimbledon.”
Karolina Muchova outlasted 2024 Wimbledon champion Barbora Krejcikova7-5, 5-7, 6-3, in an all-Czech fourth-round showdown.
Krejcikova won the last five games of the second set to square the match and broke her compatriot as Muchova served for victory the first time after gaining a 4-1 lead.
The winner – who eliminated the last Wimbledon winner remainingin the women’s draw – duplicated her quarter-finals here from 2019 and 2021.
“It was a very tough battle out there today,” the winner said. “Happy I managed to still produce a quality game in the third set after the second (where I had a big
lead.)”
Muchova said that even with a swoon in the second set “I still felt good. I knew that.
“She started to hit really freely when I was 5-2 up. She played some good points. She just really went for it; she deserved the second set.”
Abu Dhabi
Bejlek winning run continues in Cincy
20 year old Czech Sara Bejlek continued her winning run at the Cincinnati Open as she overturned Madison Keys to reach her first ever WTA 1000 semi-final
She won 3-6 6-4 7-6 (7-5) in the quarter-finals as she looks to winning a second WTA title, having won the Abu Dhabi Open earlier in the year.
She will face fourth seed Coco Gauff.
Unseeded Bejlek, beat three major champions on her run to the final four, after knocking out world No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka in the previous round and Barbora Krejcikova before that.
Bejlek was a set down and 1-3 down in the second set but she won five of the next six games to level the match and again fought back from 4-2 down in the tie-break to win in two hours and 37 minutes.
The world number 35 said: “We had a kind of big talk with my team a couple of weeks ago, and since that moment I feel that it’s going quite well and I’m getting better in the believing in myself and improving also physically on the court.”
Main photo:- Sara Bejlek winning in Cincy – by WTATennis.com
ATP
Sinner to miss US Open, Draper also out
Jannik Sinner on Friday withdrew from the US Open with his continuing knee problems, with the world No. 1 aiming to be back on court for the ATP’s autumn Asian swing.
The Italian has not played since winning Wimbledon, making pullouts from the Montreal and Cincinnati Masters event.
The Open received some possible good news when injured Carlos Alcaraz posted on social media that he would be in New York but provided few details if he was speaking of singles or the exhibition celebrity mixed doubles playoff set for next week.
The Spaniard hurt his wrist in mid-April and has not played since,all the while dropping hints of a comeback.
“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” Sinner said in a statement. .
“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue,” Sinner added.
“I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart.”
Also missing from the field at the last Grand Slam of the season will be chronically injured Brit Jack Draper, plagued by a long-term arm injury.
He has managed 16 matches over the past year, most recently losing at the ongoing Cincinnati Masters after going out in the first round the week before in Montreal..
Main photo:-Wimbledon 2026 Jannik Sinner with Mens Singles Trophy by Roger Parker International Sports Fotos Ltd
Cincinnati Masters
Rybakina quits Cincy match with foot injury
Elena Rybakina had to quit her semi-final at the ATP-WTA Cincinnati Masters, retiring while trailing 4-1 in the opening set on Thursday.The Kazakh who beat Swiatek in this month’s Toronto final suddenly stopped play, unable to put any weight on her left heel, which was already taped.
The trainer came for a look and she then attempted to play, retiring after one more point.
The win sends Swiatek into a match with Jessica Pegula, the third seed, who defeated Amanda Anisimova 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (7-4).
“I was feeling anxious watching the whole situation,” Swiatek said. “I hope she will be fine. Health is always the priority.
“This is an important tournament, but the US Open is the US Open. I hope she is ready for that,” she said in reference to the upcoming major in New York. It was a shame she was injured, we were having a good match.”
The loss eliminated the possibility of Rybakina taking over the No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka, who was defeated in the fourth round here by 20-year-old Sara Bejlek. Had Rybakina made the Cincinnati final, the swap of places would have occurred n Monday.
-
Atlanta3 weeks agoTomic turnaround sends former bad boy to SF
-
ATP3 weeks ago17-year-old son of Lleyton, Cruz Hewitt earns first ATP title in DC
-
Queens4 weeks agoRaducanu joins Draper on the no-show list
-
Prague open4 weeks agoBreakthrough Lilli scores first WTA title
-
ATP3 weeks agoSinner coach learns to live with player health episodes
-
ATP3 weeks agoDe Minaur stops Tsitsipas to face Hewitt, Jr
-
ATP2 weeks agoFrustration reigns as Montreal player field collapses
-
Top Story3 weeks agoEala ignores rain inconvenience to win first title
