Connect with us

The Australian Open

Fashion-forward Osaka will tone it down at RG

Published

on

Tennis style icon Naomi Osaka has no plans to try for one-upmanship in the informal fashion stakes at Roland Garros.

The former world No. 1 from Japan has sometimes made more news with her style choices than her racquet, especially after taking time off several seasons ago to have a child.

But Osaka has run against the traditional tennis grain with some of her outfits, which included an exo-skeleton ensemble at January’s Australian Open, where she walked onto court for her opening match wearing a large hat, veil, and carrying a parasol combination and wearing a pair of pleated pants..

The clothing was discarded before the start revealing a tennis dress, with the quirky player explaining the get-up was inspired by “the jellyfish, then butterflies, which ties back to the butterfly moment I had here a long time ago, in 2021,” 

The world No. 16 also put on a fashion show at the spring Met Gala in New York, sporting a wedding dress-style garment combined with another huge hat..

For Osaka, it’s just another day in the office, but she said nothing special is planned when Roland Garros kicks of on Sunday in Paris.

“I don’t talk a lot, so that way I can talk through my clothes,” she said on Saturday prior to the start of the year’s second major.

“That means I can be as loud with colors or patterns or
fabric as I want.

“I think that’s the fun part.. I feel we lost that a little in tennis. I grew up with, you know, Serena’s and Venus’s (Williams) grand reveals (included beaded hair and catsuits on court).

“I know there are some kids or some people who are  similar to me that hopefully feel that same way about my outfits. 

“But, yeah, I am a little dramatic when it comes to my fashion sense.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ATP

Kyrgios due to resurface on German grass

Published

on

Nick Kyrgios is being touted for a return to tennis after playing just one singles match all season, with the controversial Australian due in the lineups for Stuttgart and Halle in June.

The 2022 Wimbledon finalist who turns 31 in a week, has been added to the entry lists for the pair of run-up events prior to the grass-court major which starts on June 29.

Kyrgios, who has missed months on end due to injury and motivational worries, has played just one Grand Slam match since 2022, losing in the Australian Open first round in 2025.

His lone outing this season was an ATP defeat in Brisbane on January 6.

Nevertheless, the acquired taste is feted as a crowd-puller and will have German organisers on alert as to his eventual availability.

“Nick Kyrgios has been one of the most ‌dazzling ⁠personalities in world tennis for years,” Halle tournament organisers said in a statement.

“The Australian is known for his exceptional playing style, characterised by one of the best serves on the tour, ⁠spectacular winners, and great creativity.

“At the same time, his emotional personality and charisma attract considerable attention far beyond the sport.”

Stuttgart start the day after the Roland Garros final while Halle follows a week later in northern Germany from June 13-21.

Continue Reading

ATP

Djoko dropping hints that career has short shelf life

Published

on

Novak Djokovic has been making it plain that the end of his career is approaching, with the 38-year-old dropping his strongest hint ever about his future on court.

The 24-time Grand Slam champion who has been keeping his ATP scheduling options open and has competed this season only at the Australian Open (finals loss to Carlos Alcaraz) and winning two rounds last month at Indian Wells.

“Tennis is still very important to me, but it’s no longer everything,” the Serb told Esquire Australia, adding that family matters and two children are starting to take precedence in his life.

“It’s one of the biggest challenges – finding the right balance between tennis and family life, especially as my children are growing and have school commitments, so they can’t travel with me as much as before.

“When I’m on the court, I’m motivated not just to win, but to set an example – to show them values like dedication, resilience, and love for what you do. That motivation is very powerful and very personal.”

Main photo:- Novak Djokovic was runner up to Carlos Alcaraz in AO26 – by ISF Ltd

Continue Reading

ATP

Tentative Tsitsipas slams former coach Goran

Published

on

Fading former top 10 regular Stefanos Tsitsipas has lashed out at one-time coach Goran Ivanisevic, accusing the former Wimbledon winner of unfair criticism during their brief collaboration last season.

Greek Tsitsipas once stood among the big beasts of the ATP, achieving a top ranking of this in the world,  with Grand Slam finals at Roland Garros and Melbourne.

But with his ranking now at 49th, the 27-year-old remains in a struggle with his game and blames most of his troubles on a lingering back injury.

Croat Ivanisevic, 54, had a brief spell with Tsitsipas last summer as the player attempted to break away from his longtime coach, his father Apostolos.

But family ties proved to be too strong, with Ivanisevic given the elbow after a Wimbledon first-round retirement.

Tsitsipas has complained of unfair criticism from his one-time mentor after Ivanisevic – who formerly coached Novak Djokovic – let loose on the player’s work ethic.

“He has to find a solution for his back issue. I was shocked. I’ve never seen such a poorly prepared player in my life,” Ivanisevic told Croat outlet SportKlub recalling the incident.

“Me, at my age and with this bad knee, I’m three times in better shape than him,” the former world No. 2 added.  “In the end, I didn’t say anything bad. Everything I said was true and proved to be so.”

While Ivanisevic has moved on to work with French youngster Arthur Fils, Tsitsipas continues his comeback struggle.

“I didn’t see any point in it. If it was a way of him pushing me into working harder and getting my s*** together, it was definitely not the right tactic.

“I was really hurt,” he told London’s Times.

Continue Reading

Trending