ATP
Simmering Fritz says tennis protest action could loom
Taylor Fritz on Friday reinforced his call for more Grand Slam prize money to players as the protest over splitting up the spoils at the majors heats up.
The American world No. 5 said that while serious boycott talk is not yet in the air, he would not be surprised to see tensions rise at the current French Open which begins on Sunday.
Players are seeking an increase to 22 per cent of takings at the four majors instead of the current 15 per cent – laughably low by international sporting business standards.
“Something does have to change if we are ignored, so that’s a conversation to have, I think,” Fritz said.
“Right now I’m not ready to start tossing that (boycott) around, because I want to really mean it if I’m going to say it.”
Currently, top 10 competitors are limiting their interviews – especially with television – to a maximum 15 minutes, time which also includes the much more numerous print media.
The money issues boiled over last week at the Rome Masters, with world no. 1s Jannik Sinner and Aryna Sabalenka in solid support of their peers.
“It’s not about wanting more money. It’s about just wanting what’s fair,” Fritz told reporters in Paris.
“And as the tournaments make more money, we obviously want to see the revenue shared back to the players reflect that.
“I think obviously when it’s going the opposite direction and going down, it’s disappointing to see.
“We have been pretty patient and mild with, I’d say, our requests.
“All of us feel it’s a bit disrespectful to just be ignored when the sport is the healthiest, when I think there is a very fair partnership and open dialogue between the players and the tournaments.”
The current situation in Paris could be heading for a clash,with TD and former world No. 1 Amelie Mauresmo saying the event “would not budge” on the prize money issue.