Connect with us

The French Open

Top WTA women all-in on 15-minute media boycott

Published

on

World No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka and four-time Roland Garros winner Iga Swiatek on Friday threw their support behind the boycott of mainly international tennis TV underway at the Paris Grand Slam.

Sabalenka explained her support of a player protest to the four majors, which distribute less than 20 per cent of tournament taking to their athletes, a figure well below other sports and a major cause of dis-satisfaction.

The boycott is designed to bring Roland Garros bosses – and others from the Grand Slams – to the negotiating table and will hit hardest at international TV rights holders who have paid millions for access to competitors during the tournament.

“As the World No. 1, I feel I have to stand up and to fight for those players, for lower-level players, for players who are coming back after injuries, the upcoming generation,” Sabalenka said.

“Our point is pretty clear and pretty fair to everyone.  That’s what we are all about.”

Plans for the protest action took shape last week at the Rome Masters, with ATP No. 1 Jannik Sinner joining in the cause.

Sabalenka kept her tone light, but firm, as she explained player thinking on the issue.

“We wanted to do it (the boycott) in a respectful way at the beginning, and

you guys (media) know how much we respect you and we appreciate you. 

“It’s not your decision, it’s not about you. It’s just we are trying to fight for a fair percentage.”

Sabalenka let her pre-event media on Friday run long (10 minutes was designated for print media, 5 for T) and said she is not sticking to an actual schedule.

“I’m not on the clock, but we just wanted, you know, to make our point, and we are united, and 15 minutes better than 0, 

“I’m here to talk to you because I have my respect to you guys. I guess we just do 10 minutes here and 5 minutes – what is the 5 minutes that we did, World Feed? That’s it.”   

Third-ranked Swiatek, winner of four of the last six Paris editions, echoed the logic of Sabalenka but added that she is maintaining the 15-minute limit for her media conferences.

 “We will do more (for the event) when the tournament will do more for us. Not only us, the top players, but for also the lower-ranked players and the whole
structure.

“This is the decision that we made, and we will follow it.”

The Pole added: “It’s hard to know what’s gonna happen in the next weeks. It 

also depends on how the tournaments will react.

“We want to push a bit more to get what we need and to get the tournaments
being more open for the conversations.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ATP

Simmering Fritz says tennis protest action could loom

Published

on

Taylor Fritz on Friday reinforced his call for more Grand Slam prize money to players as the protest over splitting up the spoils at the majors heats up.

The American world No. 5 said that while serious boycott talk is not yet in the air, he would not be surprised to see tensions rise at the current French Open which begins on Sunday.

Players are seeking an increase to 22 per cent of takings at the four majors instead of the current 15 per cent – laughably low by international sporting business standards.

“Something does have to change if we are ignored, so that’s a conversation to have, I think,” Fritz said.

“Right now I’m not ready to start tossing that (boycott) around, because I want to really mean it if I’m going to say it.”

Currently, top 10 competitors are limiting their interviews – especially with television – to a maximum 15 minutes, time which also includes the much more numerous print media.

The money issues boiled over last week at the Rome Masters, with world no. 1s Jannik Sinner and Aryna Sabalenka in solid support of their peers.

“It’s not about wanting more money. It’s about just wanting what’s fair,” Fritz told reporters in Paris.

“And as the tournaments make more money, we obviously want to see the revenue shared back to the players reflect that.

“I think obviously when it’s going the opposite direction and going down, it’s disappointing to see.

“We have been pretty patient and mild with, I’d say, our requests.

“All of us feel it’s a bit disrespectful to just be ignored when the sport is the healthiest, when I think there is a very fair partnership and open dialogue between the players and the tournaments.”

The current situation in Paris could be heading for a clash,with TD and former world No. 1 Amelie Mauresmo saying the event “would not budge” on the prize money issue.

Continue Reading

ATP

Original tennis rebel Djoko sidesteps current protest

Published

on

Novak Djokovic served as the godfather of tennis player protest several years ago when he helped start the PTPA. But the former No. 1 has ruled himself out of taking action now as competitors voice their dis-satisfaction over prize money splits at the French Open.

While Djokovic’s Professional Tennis Player Association still exists, the organisation which never truly took flight, has been superseded by the current protest at Roland Garros.

Many top competitors are limiting media time to a quarter of an hour and refusing to speak with TV rightsholders who in some cases have paid millions for access during the Paris Grand Slam.

Djokovic, who turned 39 on Friday, is content to watch from the sidelines after helping kickstart the player rights movement.

“I’m not part of that, I haven’t been part of the conversation or the planning or decision-making.

“But I have always been on the players’ side and tried to advocate

for players’ rights and better future for players – not only top players, players across all rankings, across all fields

“We tend to forget how little is the number of people that (make a living) from this sport.

“If we want to nurture the future, have the players thrive from this sport, not

just survive, and if we also want to increase or improve the sport as a whole and increase the number of the kids who want to enroll themselves into a journey of becoming a professional tennis player.”

Djokovic called the current tennis hierarchy “very fragmented.”

“It’s already complex enough. how the structure is set and how we are regulated. Let’s see and let’s learn also from golf, a good example of professional individual global sport that has been through and is still

going through very challenging times in terms of the
governance and splitting tours and players.

“It’s not one or two things that are happening this tournament …overall there are a lot of rumors, a lot of sentiment on what is happening in terms of the changes in sport.

“I think it’s something inevitable, so hopefully we’re going to be able to do it with least turbulence possible.”

Continue Reading

ATP

Djokovic realistic on his minimal RG chances

Published

on

Novak Djokovic turned 39 on Friday and celebrated by putting a lid on his chances of lifting a record 25th Grand Slam singles title at Roland Garros.

The fourth-ranked icon arrives in Paris after losing his pre-Paris only match in Rome after suffering with injuries throughout a dismal spring and missing around two months of play.

“It’s been a lot of hours on the court trying to perfect the game and the body

and enable myself physically and game-wise to be ready for best-of-five (sets),” he said.

“I don’t know whether that’s going to be the case for the entire
tournament, however long that tournament will be for me.

“Grand Slams have always (headed) the priority list, particularly in the last couple of years. 

“So I always try to aim to be at the peak of my own abilities to perform well in Grand Slams.I can’t wait to get on a court and start competing.”

Djokovic said that a “higher force” kept him from playing over the majority of the spring clay season, and admitted to doubts that he would even be ready to compete in Paris.

“I wanted to play more, but my body was not allowing me. I was going through rehabilitation process for my injury (reportedly a shoulder, though he has never said…)

“After Indian Wells (early March) , it was, yeah, just not possible for

me to compete for several months.’

He added: “I really wanted to go to Rome to give it a shot and try and see how I feel. I was far from being ready to compete, but still, I needed at least that one match just to have the score called by the chair umpire and have
experience of the nerves.

“Thankfully, the response of the body and the preparation has been positive in the last 10 days, so here I am, and we’ll see what happens.”

Continue Reading

Trending