Connect with us

ATP

Wimbledon 2026 Men’s Day 8

Published

on

Arthur Fery sent British Wimbledon pulses racing on Monday as the local boy who grew up five minutes from the club, erased a deficit to land as a wild card into the Wimbledon quarter-finals

The French-born Fery, playing on a wild card, overcame popular Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov 7-5, 3-6, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7), coming from 1-2 and a break down in the fourth set and stretching the 35-year-old on the way to victory in four hours.

Dimitrov was riding a dream comeback after last year’s abdominal injury but was unable to reclaim the momentum against the eager youngster, last Brit standing in singles.

The match was played in front of eight-time Wimbledon winner Roger Federer, a Royal Box guest for the day.

No. 114 Fery becomes the fifth wild card to reach the singles quarters here, advancing on his first match point.

“I have no words: my first time on Centre Court, five-sets and playing an absolute legend of the game…and playing in front of probably the greatest of all time (Federer). 

“I had been close to also losing in my previous match but I told myself to keep fighting and have a good attitude.

“I managed to play well with my back against the wall and it paid off again today.

“I could not have imagined this a week ago. I would have been happy to win a couple of matches. Now I’m in a quarter-final, a dream of mine.”

Roland Garros runner-up Flavio Cobolli dispatched Alex de Minaur with a clinical 7-5, 7-6 (4), 6-3 fourth-round result to advance into a showdown with Fery.

The 10th-ranked Italian spent two and a half hours in defeating the Australian who has now been halted in the fourth round here for a second straight edition.

Both men ended with 24 winners, with De Minaur striking 40 unforced errors to 33 for Cobolli.

“It was an incredible match for me, I think I played one of the best matches ever, especially on this surface,” Cobolli said.

“I’m really proud and happy to reach the second quarter-final in a row here in Wimbledon. That means a lot to me.”

A dejected de Minaur cast momentary doubt on his entire career after the setback.

“I won’t play a tournament for a while… they (losses) just accumulate. And the goals, the beliefs, the dreams that you have start fading away or they feel a little bit further away than when they once were.

“I feel like a couple of years ago, I was definitely closer to that. Now it just feels like I’m getting a little bit further away from those dreams.”

Sixth seed Taylor Fritz reached a fourth quarter-final at the grasscourt major with a 7-6 (1), 6-4, 6-4 win over Alexander Bublik.  

The pair of big hitters combined for more than 36 aces. Fritz stands 11-2 on grass this season, with both of the defeats coming in finals,

Main photo:- Wimbledon 2026 Day 8 Arthur Fery (GBR) celebrates as he beats set against Grigor Dimitrov – Roger Parker International Sports Fotos Ltd

ATP

Sinner to miss US Open, Draper also out

Published

on

Jannik Sinner on Friday withdrew from the US Open with his continuing knee problems, with the world No. 1 aiming to be back on court for the ATP’s autumn Asian swing.

The Italian has not played since winning Wimbledon, making pullouts from the Montreal and Cincinnati Masters event.

The Open received some possible good news when injured Carlos Alcaraz posted on social media that he would be in New York but provided few details if he was speaking of singles or the exhibition celebrity mixed doubles playoff set for next week.

The Spaniard hurt his wrist in mid-April and has not played since,all the while dropping hints of a comeback.

“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” Sinner said in a statement. .

“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue,” Sinner added.

“I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart.”

Also missing from the field at the last Grand Slam of the season will be chronically injured Brit Jack Draper, plagued by a long-term arm injury.

He has managed 16 matches over the past year, most recently losing at the ongoing Cincinnati Masters after going out in the first round the week before in Montreal..

Main photo:-Wimbledon 2026 Jannik Sinner with Mens Singles Trophy by Roger Parker International Sports Fotos Ltd

Continue Reading

ATP

Cobolli sweet tooth produces Cincinnati win

Published

on

Fiavio Cobolli called for a handful of sweets on court to fuel his 2-6,6-3, 6-4 fightback win over Tommy Paul which put the Italian into the semi-finals on Thursday of the Cincinnati Masters.

The M&M candies brought to the court were just the trick for Cobolli, the Roland Garros finalist. The hack seemed to mimic the shot of espresso often taken on the player bench at key moments by Italian compatriot Luciano Darderi.

“A sweet with chocolate makes me happy,” Cobolli said. “I’ve tried it in doubles so why not singles.”

Cobolli eliminated one of four US players in the quarter-final field with his comeback victory. He overcame Paul after the American fought through five deuces and saved four break points late in the deciding set.

Paul came to the match having defeated top seed Alexander Zverev, saving a match point along the way.

“It was a difficult day,” Cobolli said. “I’m proud of my effort, my game and my mental strength. It is all good practice for the US Open.

“My shape is 100 percent. I may play gold tomorrow on a day off to relax but I will be ready to fight again.”

Main photo:- Flavio Cobolli celebrates – ATPTour.com

Continue Reading

ATP

Rain, opponent drive Zverev to distraction

Published

on

Alexander Zverev wanted a match point and lost a late lead as the top seed crashed out of the Cincinnati Masters on Wednesday 4-6, 7-6 (6), 6-4 to American Tommy Paul in the fourth round.

Roland Garros winner had a win in hand leading 6-5 in the second-set tiebreaker but was unable to convert.

He broke for a 4-2 lead in the third set only to lose serve twice more as the newly married Paul served into the quarter-finals to wrap up a contest interrupted for 90 minutes by rain and required two more short pauses to wipe down wet lines on the court.

“I’m not sure how I did it,” Paul said. “I put some returns in, he gave me some looks at second serves and he threw in a few doubles (faults). That always helps a ton.

“I went after the ball a bit more, I was having fun out there. I hope I can keep building on this and peak at the US Open.”

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/zverev-paul-cincinnati-2026-wednesday

Paul lines up against the man Zverev beat in the French Open final two months ago, Flavio Cobolli.

The Italian needed two and a half hours to see off keen Spanish teen Rafael Jodar 4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-3, marking third win for Cobolli in that series of three-setters.

Cobolli will play his second Masters quarter-final of 2026 after Madrid in the spring.

“At the end of the second set and start of the third I told myself to believe, try on every point,” Cobolli said. “I knew I had a chance.

“Rafa has had an unbelievable season but maybe he was a bit tired. At the end I deserved to win as I was fresher than him.  

“I pushed to my limit to get through. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I’m really strong.”

There was a surprise win for Thiago Tirante, who upset Novak Djokovic in the second round. The Argentine advanced over Jakub Mensik 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 into his first Masters quarter-final.

Australian Alex de Minaur was no match for Frenchman Arthur Fils, who cruised to a 6-3, 6-4 victory over the fifth seed.

Main photo:- Tommy Paul beating top seed Alexander Zverev in Cincy – by Cincinnati Open

Continue Reading

Trending