Connect with us

Top Story

Wimbledon 2026 Women’s Day 8

Published

on

2024 finalist Jasmine Paolini kept her nerves under tight control as she played in front of her hero Roger Federer, with the Italian ending the dream run of Alexandra Eala 6-6-4, 4-6, 6-3 on Monday to begin the second week of Wimbledon.

The 44-year-old Swiss icon, wearing a double-breasted suit on a steamy summer day, was a guest in the Royal Box, watching the match between the Italian 13th seed and the Filipina sensation who knocked holder Iga Swiatek out in the previous round.

Paolini, 30, is into a quarter-final here for the second time.

“Roger is my idol, I told myself to stay focused and don’t think that Roger is in the crowd,” Paolini said. “I watched all of the finals he played here,” she said of the eight-time Wimbledon champion who was on a VIP visit.

Paolini, who has reached only one WTA semi-final this season, called her 2026 “a roller-coaster.” She started here last week by losing her opening first-round set to love.

“I came here without many matches. After that set I knew things could only get better.

“I’m going point-by-point, game-by-game. I’m feeling better on grass.

“It’s a weird surface: sometimes you love it and sometimes you hate it. Today I was really enjoying. I hope I can play another good match.”

That chance will come in the next round against first-time semi-finalist Marta Kostyuk, who  achieved a personal best here 6-4, 6-4 defeat of qualifier Ashlyn Krueger to reach the last eight.

Kostyuk, seeded 12th, broke back in the second set against her No. 102 American opponent, securing an insurance break before serving out the victory.

“It’s unbelievable, I’m still processing it,” the winner said. “Today was very difficult, so hot. You feel worse the longer you stay on the surface.”

Keruger had never been past the third round at a Grand Slam but gave Kostyuk a true test.

“It was a huge fight, super windy today,” the Ukrainian said. “It was a struggle to break her, but the last two breaks of the match saved me. I needed them for sure.”

The American came to the fourth-round test with a 16-1 record on the lawns this season. “I don’t think I’ve played 17 grass matches in my life,” Kostyuk joked (she actually has 27 on the surface at the WTA level).”

Belgian Elise Mertens ended a six year Grand Slam quarter-final drought with a 6-4, 6-4 defeat of Marie Bouzkova, reaching the last eight of a major for the fourth time in her career.

The modest 27th-ranked Belgian reached the quarters here on her ninth appearance after shutting down her Czech opposition.

“The whole match was nerve-wracking, she’s been having an amazing grass season, coming in very strong” the winner said. “I’ve been to the fourth round four times but never played a quarter-final here.

“I guess you have to be over 30 for that.”

Mertens lost a 20-minute second game of the match where she saved four break points but stayed steady to eventually take victory in just under two hours.

“It was very intense, she brings a lot of balls back,” the Belgian said. 

“I’m glad I could close it out with my serve.”

Mertens was carrying momentum from her third-round upset of former champion Elena Ryakina. the second seed.

Mertens will square off against Linda Noskova, who put out Madison Keys 6-4, 7-6 (2).

Main photo:-Jasmine Paolini wins fourth round match in three sets by Roger Parker International Sports Fotos Ltd

Abu Dhabi

Bejlek winning run continues in Cincy

Published

on

20 year old Czech Sara Bejlek continued her winning run at the Cincinnati Open as she overturned Madison Keys to reach her first ever WTA 1000 semi-final

She won 3-6 6-4 7-6 (7-5) in the quarter-finals as she looks to winning a second  WTA title, having won the Abu Dhabi Open earlier in the year.

She will face fourth seed Coco Gauff.

Unseeded Bejlek, beat three major champions on her run to the final four, after knocking out  world No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka in the previous round and Barbora Krejcikova before that.

https://www.wtatennis.com/news/4564533/i-just-keep-believing-bejlek-arrives-to-reach-cincinnati-semifinals

Bejlek was a set down  and 1-3 down in the second set  but she won five of the next six games to level the match and again fought back from 4-2 down in the tie-break to win in two hours and 37 minutes.

The world number 35 said: “We had a kind of big talk with my team a couple of weeks ago, and since that moment I feel that it’s going quite well and I’m getting better in the believing in myself and improving also physically on the court.”

Main photo:- Sara Bejlek winning in Cincy – by WTATennis.com

Continue Reading

ATP

Sinner to miss US Open, Draper also out

Published

on

Jannik Sinner on Friday withdrew from the US Open with his continuing knee problems, with the world No. 1 aiming to be back on court for the ATP’s autumn Asian swing.

The Italian has not played since winning Wimbledon, making pullouts from the Montreal and Cincinnati Masters event.

The Open received some possible good news when injured Carlos Alcaraz posted on social media that he would be in New York but provided few details if he was speaking of singles or the exhibition celebrity mixed doubles playoff set for next week.

The Spaniard hurt his wrist in mid-April and has not played since,all the while dropping hints of a comeback.

“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” Sinner said in a statement. .

“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue,” Sinner added.

“I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart.”

Also missing from the field at the last Grand Slam of the season will be chronically injured Brit Jack Draper, plagued by a long-term arm injury.

He has managed 16 matches over the past year, most recently losing at the ongoing Cincinnati Masters after going out in the first round the week before in Montreal..

Main photo:-Wimbledon 2026 Jannik Sinner with Mens Singles Trophy by Roger Parker International Sports Fotos Ltd

Continue Reading

Cincinnati Masters

Rybakina quits Cincy match with foot injury

Published

on

Elena Rybakina had to quit her semi-final at the ATP-WTA Cincinnati Masters, retiring while trailing 4-1 in the opening set on Thursday.The Kazakh who beat Swiatek in this month’s Toronto final suddenly stopped play, unable to put any weight on her left heel, which was already taped. 

The trainer came for a look and she then attempted to play, retiring after one more point.

The win sends Swiatek into a match with Jessica Pegula, the third seed, who defeated Amanda Anisimova 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (7-4). 

“I was feeling anxious watching the whole situation,” Swiatek said. “I hope she will be fine. Health is always the priority.

“This is an important tournament, but the US Open is the US Open. I hope she is ready for that,” she said in reference to the upcoming major in New York. It was a shame she was injured, we were having a good match.”

The loss eliminated the possibility of Rybakina taking over the No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka, who was defeated in the fourth round here by 20-year-old Sara Bejlek. Had Rybakina made the Cincinnati final, the swap of places would have occurred n Monday.

Continue Reading

Trending